Obecny czas: Pią Lip 10, 2020 2:13 am

Napisz nowy temat Odpowiedz  [ 2 posty(ów) ] 
Teaching kids real math with computers 
Autor Wiadomość

Dołączenie: Czw Sty 25, 2018 6:42 am
Post Teaching kids real math with computers
Hello,

I stumbled upon this TED talk a couple days ago. In the video, Conrad Wolfram discusses his feelings towards mathematics education. He essentially states that we need to teach the essence of math itself, the theories and ideas, rather than the computation.My favorite quote from the talk: ?"Programming is... a great way to engage students much more and to check they understand. If you really want to check you understand math then write a program to do it." I know that the purpose of the Raspberry Pi is to teach kids programming. The Raspberry Pi is the means to an end: a new generation of students and professionals with a much better understanding of computers. I, however, do not think that programming should be the ultimate goal. While programming is a great thing to know, it can itself be the means to an end: a much better understanding of math and problem solving. I myself have used programming to cement my understanding of all kinds of math. If you can make a program that does it, you have a very solid understanding of it.

I think we should consider a somewhat different learning approach when we try to teach students using the Raspberry Pi. Rather than bringing the students through various levels of programming, resulting in complete mastery of the language(s), we should consider teaching students the basics of programming and problem solving skills. From there we can use those concepts to help the students learn math. For example, we could have the students create an algorithm that calculates angles in a triangle using the law of cosines. The student must understand the law of cosines completely in order to create an algorithm that works every time.The Raspberry Pi is a great device that has the potential to get a lot of kids interesting in programming. I simply think that we should expand the focus of the device to include math education as well. I am planning on bringing this up to my math teacher; maybe I can find some interest in this type of teaching.

Ideas?

I didn't find the right solution from the internet.

References:
https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=3067
Creative video service

Thanks

Sob Mar 03, 2018 11:52 am
Profil E-mail

Dołączenie: Pon Cze 08, 2020 4:07 pm
Post Re: Teaching kids real math with computers
Really helpful for students thanks for sharing a great resource...

Pon Cze 08, 2020 4:14 pm
Profil E-mail
Wyświetl posty z poprzednich:  Sortuj według  
Napisz nowy temat Odpowiedz  [ 2 posty(ów) ] 

Kto jest na forum

Użytkownicy przeglądający to forum: Brak zarejestrowanych użytkowników oraz 1 gość